Monday, May 22, 2006

The ants go marching one by one, hurrah! hurrah!

The annual invasion has begun: primary objective-- my kitchen. Every time I set up those little ant traps, for some crazy reason, I get the song "The ants go marching" stuck in my head. I hesitate to tell the world these kinds of things lest they think "Hmm...this is the kind of grad student that's teaching my child??". Frighteningly enough, yes. Back to the ants...I have lived in my apartment for about 5 years now and the same thing happens every year at about this time. My kitchen becomes the hatching habitat for about a million ants; too bad they aren't the cute Mexican variety like the above picture, hehe. I suppose this is the curse I am given for living on the ground floor of my building. If I am vigilant enough as the designated Orkin-woman, the wave should subside in about a week or so.

In other news, I leave the country in 8 days!! Agh! I'm not ready yet! Well, technically I am but, it never feels that way. I'm the kind of person that always walks out of the house feeling as though they've forgotten something--- imagine that person faced with international travel as opposed to driving 5 miles to the grocery store. I'm turning into a maluca. Getting everything in place for research is the biggest mental hurdle for me. As Dr. Jacobs said, "Niki, you're OUT HERE and you need to be in here." I just like way too many topics and I get intellectually passionate about things too easily. Plus, I love to write so, 100 pages seems like cake but, in reality, it always takes longer than anticipated; not counting the translation I'll have to do. Anyway, I need to get focused and then relax...Felipe keeps telling me to breathe...though, breathing isn't the thing I forget-- it's sleeping, eating, bathroom breaks, etc :(

No comments: