Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Rape on the second floor????

Sorry to anyone who was scared by the title of this blog entry. Let me start off by saying that everything is fine and it is just a joke...this picture should make things a bit more clear....


As you can see, "Rape" is clearly located on the second floor (219) of this shopping mall with "female style" underneath as the description....oh, so wrong. Perhaps I have a sick and twisted sense of humor but when I saw this I laughed so much I was crying. People walking by must have seriously wondered what the hell was so funny; we got even weirder looks when he snapped the photo and I was shaking with giggles. At first we were like, "Whoa, that's terrible. Maybe we should tell them." Then we just couldn't stop laughing. Felipe often remarks that the most unusual (and sometimes highly usual) things make me completely lose composure and he is, of course, right.

On a very different note, yesterday was my first day of Portuguese language classes. The classroom is small but neat and tidy. (I sent out the photos on Shutterfly.) Originally, I was going to be the only student but, at the last minute, a British med student named Paul joined me. My teacher is a woman named Zacaria. She's short and stout (though lacking the handle and spout) and I don't like her very much. She is a naturally very loud and animated speaker and the class is small so the echo is killer. If I don't understand something or have a question, in addition to an explanation, she speaks as though I have I severe hearing problem, which gets annoying really quickly. As a language teacher, I guess I'm really biased as to how to teach and since she doesn't fit that style, it bothers me. Paul said he had her last summer and she was pretty good so, I guess I just have to give her some time. I have taken to calling her "a bocao" (the big mouth). The workload is reasonable and the lack of students means that Paul and I have to speak up all the time so, we practice a lot. I apparently bought the wrong textbook through Amazon so, I had to buy the correct one this morning before class. All in all, things are starting well in spite of minor set-backs.

No comments: