Sunday, June 11, 2006

Itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, little polka-dot bikini

Ok, it isn't really polka-dotted but ... finally!! I have not one, but TWO Brazilian bikinis. The one on the left is black and white and the pattern mimics the famous sidewalks in Ipanema. I was satisfied with one but the black and white one was such a deal-- US$15-- how could I resist? Admittedly, it is a bit tinier in the back than the one on the right but, hey, my butt's tiny too. The one on the right was a bit pricey but, well worth it. The cut fits like a dream, the material is sturdy and the print really brings out my eyes (or so Felipe says). I also used them, well the floral one at least, on Saturday. Felipe took me to the beach in Baja de Tijuca (exclusive, far away and practically deserted) and then to Ipanema (crowded as hell but really fun). I played it safe with this alien Brazilian sun and, in the end, gained no color at all; in retrospect I think I played it a little TOO safe. However, Felipe--adopted gringo that he is---got quite a burn on his back. If the weather holds up, we plan to go every day this week after my Portuguese class.

Last night Felipe and I went out to dinner at a Japanese place called "Miako". Felipe is crazy about this place and always told me how he used to go here almost every day when he lived in Brazil. It is close to the Japanese Embassy here so, everything (including the owner) is 100% authentically Japanese. The food was great and the restaurante is adorable; in the upstairs portion (only open during the day for large parties) has a tatami (low tables with cushions to sit on and woven floor mats). After a lovely meal of sushi (with mango--a first for me but quite tasty) and sashimi, we decided to have a beer. We ordered two choppes, which is Portuguese for drafts. So, I'm imagining the kind of draft that they show on TV ads-- tall, chilled and foamy...but this is what we got... ...two of the smallest beers I have ever seen!!They must be about 10 ounces each; when the waitress brought them we just started couldn't help but giggle a little. Felipe thought it was so cute that they fit perfectly in my small hands that he insisted on snapping this picture. Since Valentine's Day in Brazil is Monday, we kind of celebrated a bit early but we will probably do something nice the day off as well; he suggested we spend the afternoon at the Jardim Botanico (Botanical Garden) downtown so, that is the plan as of now.

No comments: