Saturday, December 15, 2007

Overdose of Christmas

I'm feeling dizzy, nauseous, disoriented and suspiciously jolly.....I should not operate large machinery or attempt to cross busy streets unassisted. Why? I am feeling the effects of a Christmas overdose. Let me explain...

In the last week I have:
1) Attended a Christmas party at work.
2) Attended a Christmas party with fellow Ph.D. candidates (pictures to come!).
3) Attended the Radio City Rockettes Christmas show here in town.

4) Attended a showing of the Nutcracker Ballet (my first time at a ballet) with none other than Scott Hamilton as the "special guest", appearing as Mother Ginger (yup, in drag-- real shock, right?).


Not to mention Christmas shopping, songs on the radio, holiday commercials on TV, lights and wreaths everywhere--- it's almost enough to give a person a seizure. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy celebrating holidays as much as the next person but, is it just me or has Christmas become a virtual juggernaut of joy? A cascade of cheer? A pile-drive of peace? A hornet's nest of hallelujahs? I could go on and on.

The point is, no wonder everyone I meet is stressed out and suffering from serious bouts of insecurity! We're all being pushed to the sonic boom of Christmas. Why? Because people have forgotten the point of it all. Regardless of your religious affiliations, December and January are supposed to be a time of thankfulness, reflection and remembering the value of family.

In any case, I'm tired of Christmas and it isn't even here yet. I'm over-stimulated and practically strung out on it. I think we could all use a little detox. Happy Rehab to all and to all a good night!

No comments: