Saturday, January 20, 2007

Close calls

So much to tell! For starters, I had a very close-call with one of my graduate applications. One of my safety schools, which shall remain nameless, contacted me not too long ago regarding a missing recommendation letter. I was rather surprised given the fact that I kept in regular contact with my recommenders and they told me everything was done. So, I go back and forth with the graduate secretary about what format, who it was, etc. I ask my recommender to send an electronic copy of the letter through email, which she does, a fax copy, which she does, and another hardcopy, which she does. However, I am repeatedly told by the university that nothing has come through and time is running out. I, of course, start to freak out because of all the time and money I've invested in all this and fate just seems to be working against me---all the sent materials are just drifting in space somewhere. Luckily, my recommender happens to know the graduate director at the university and starts to converse with him directly. Magically, the letter is found (in what form I still don't know) and my application is now complete. Guess it pays to know people...or at least know people who do. This episode has made me really nervous about the last 4 schools that have yet to confirm that all materials have been received. I know for a fact that I sent everything to everyone on time but, there are certain aspects that are out of my control. The sweating portion of the program has yet to end.

In other news, last night my honey and I attended a "Black and White" themed birthday party for a friend of ours. It was a great time until, suddenly, an ambulance shows up at the party. Everyone had noticed a rather intoxicated young man being carried around by his two friends but, since he was the only drunk one, people let it go. Apparently, his friends got scared and called an ambulance...and, as soon as the EMTs discover the kid was only 20, they called the cops. Craziness. As it turns out, NO ONE invited these guys and NO ONE knew them. They just randomly showed up at the party (brought their own vodka) and proceeded to get totally smashed in a stranger's house. What is up with people?? So, of course, the cops start asking who lives here, etc. My friends ended up getting a citation for providing alcohol to a minor that they A) don't know B) didn't invite C) didn't know he was under-aged and D) didn't really provide alcohol to since he brought his own. Needless to say, they were royally pissed and very scared because, as international students these things can have much bigger implications. I helped to translate things for them and explain that things weren't as they seemed but, the law is the law. I immediately found the two friends (also 20), hiding in a corner of the house and told them they needed to apologize to my friends, give their contact information and pay for the citation they caused. They agreed and, hopefully, they will honor their word but, people that do things like that aren't necessarily the most honorable to begin with. Phew...what a crazy week...

No comments: