Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"She works (too) hard for the money..."


Something has recently come to my attention that is rather disappointing. I have been working at my current 40hr/wk summer job for about 2 months now. When I arrived, my boss seemed really enthusiastic to make a positive change in the workplace and I appeared to be an integral part of that. However, as time has gone on, I've been told several times that I "work too fast". This means that I complete assignments faster than my boss expects or would like. I never thought of it as a negative thing, really--- it's just who I am. Tell me what to do and I will get it done-- period. No messing around, just do it.

Unfortunately, every time I enter into the workforce I am told the same thing. I have come to realize that my bosses don't ACTUALLY want me to finish what I'm doing-- especially not in record time. The more I do, the more they need to do to keep me occupied. I've talked to a few people about this; in particular, my Dad, who is a supervising manager for a local manufacturing company. His take on it was this, "I'd like all my employees to work like that but, the fact is, none do. And when they do, co-workers give them such a hard time for "making everyone else look bad" that they eventually learn to play the game too." And what is this "game"? It is pretending to work and be busy when you are really just wasting time and milking a job for all it's worth. The longer you take, the less people expect of you and if no one expects anything of you, you don't get asked to do much. It really is the perfect strategy.

So, what should I do about this? Well, I guess I'll just go to the bathroom a lot, take longer lunches, take smoke breaks (even though I don't smoke) and play card games on my computer all day long because, frankly, I don't want to lose my job. If I keep the pace I've had, I'll finish my job before I'm actually scheduled to leave. It makes me sad to learn that being a part of the "adult", working world translates to such little actual productivity.

Anyone else encountered this phenomena? How do you deal with it? How much should we all just "go with the flow"?

4 comments:

Lys said...

I know what you are talking about babe! Remember, learned this when we worked up in the History Dept. If we worked too fast, they would run out of things to give us, then they would devise these awful, unnecessary assignments to keep us busy.. You know WHO I am talking about! I miss you babe!

Niki said...

LOL! Yes, I certainly do. Miss you too!!!

Anonymous said...

I understand completely...

Unfortunately, that's the way things go in the workplace. The ones who do things super-efficient are the ones who take the most crap from everyone else, and ultimately end up doing the "dirty work" that no one else wants to deal with.

That's how I became a supervisor at my old job...aka the one who takes EVERYONE'S crap. It's why I left.

I've learned that I like being a super-efficient peon much better, lol!

Hang in there! You'll be back swimming in stacks of books before you know it!

Lauren said...

Hey Niki - thanks for commenting on my blog! :)

Hmm...you've made some very good comments. Of course you already know this, but keeping doing your best.

The pastor at our church told us one time that he used to work in a post office I believe it was, and he never thought anyone noticed him or anything, but when he went to quit they begged him to stay, offered him a higher position with much better pay, all because they had noticed what a hard worker he was - harder than any one else.

Your reward will come! Hopefully in the form of self-respect it already has! :)

I'm proud of you anyways. For what it's worth ;)