Thursday, June 21, 2007

¿Hablas español?

I was officially hired yesterday for my second job!!! I will be working for this summer (at least)as an independent contractor for translating and interpreting. I will do: Spanish to English, English to Spanish, English to Portuguese and Portuguese to English. Yeah!!!!! I'm really excited and rather nervous. This will be my first experience doing this kind of work professionally. The money isn't bad at all and I can do a lot of it from home, which means I can continue even after I move to Nashville-- very nice. The company I'm working for is Spanish Translation and it is owned by Charlotte Hernandez, with whom I had a really great interview yesterday afternoon. She's great. If anyone out there needs this kind of work in the Eastern Panhandle/Tri-State area, she's the one you should call. I hope to become certified through the ATA (American Translators Association) soon.

I've also been trying to write some this summer and get some work sent out--- which I'm failing miserably at. I'm just so tired at the end of the day. It's all I can do to eat, work out and get enough sleep to do it all the next day. I haven't written a story in months, despite a lovely postcard of encouragement from one of my favorite writer-gals, Sara Pritchard. (Which consequently I lost somewhere in all the boxes that now contain my life so, I don't have her address to write back and thank her; if anyone has it let me know, or if she is reading this blog, THANK YOU!). So, in lieu of my failed attempts at being an on-the-side writer, I have a question to all the writer-people out there: How do you stay motivated and inspired? What do you do to "get the juices flowing", so to speak? Any suggestions?

No comments: