Monday, March 19, 2007

Drowning in Babies...ugh...


What a weekend...oy, I'm so tired I don't know how I'm going to coherently teach this morning. It seems like all I've been doing is driving. I took my boy down to Elkins so we could eat at one of our favorite restaurants for his birthday then, I was supposed to leave Friday night to go to my parent's but, the weather had other plans. Everyone got a dumping of snow and nothing gets my parents into a tizzy quicker than bad driving conditions. So, I left Saturday morning--early. The West Virginia roads were awful...AWFUL...shame on our road crews. It was an absolute mess. Miraculously, after crossing the stateline into Maryland, things cleared up.....interesting, huh? We even followed the snow plow until he pulled over beside the "Welcome to Maryland" sign along I-68 and forced us to pass.


Then, on Saturday we had a big St. Patrick's Day dinner at my grandmother's house-- complete with corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and green beer; ok, just kidding on the beer-- I suggested it for next year as a "new and improved" menu option. Grandma just giggled and said I was bad. What's St. Patty's without green beer?? Even though we aren't really Irish--well, maybe just a little in the way that every American is a little Irish. When your family's been here over 200 years, something's gotta give, you know?


Then, Sunday afternoon was the *bum, bum bum* double baby shower that I had been summoned home to attend. Two, yes two, of my cousins are currently pregnant; one is about 5 months along and the other is about ready to burst any day now. So, it was an afternoon of pale colors, crazy contraptions that vibration and make sounds like rain, and lots and lots of family gossip (with coffee). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for both of them. I guess I've just never been the kind of girl to get too excited over breast pumps and maternity clothes. Someday I'll have children, and I'll be very excited, but I don't ever think I'll be "baby crazy". I think that if having kids is the only thing you ever have on your mind, you need a hobby!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why would ANYONE ever get excited over maternity clothes?? They are hideous!

Just a thought...