Sunday, April 30, 2006

Paging Dr. Willhide...


Not sure why, but I've been thinking alot about the future lately. I'm definitely a "plan ahead" kind of person so, I've mainly been looking at PhD programs. I think the trigger for all of this was Thursday. I spent the whole day in ceremonies eating really good free food, which is always fun. The first one was for the History Department. They had a lunch speaker from the U.S. State Department who discussed Latin America/United States foreign relations. He gave a great talk and I asked a lot of questions. Afterwards, he gave me his card and encouraged me to pursue a career in diplomacy and that he would gladly recommend me should I apply in his department-- rather nice compliment, I think. I told him about my Brazil trip and he gave me the name of some government researchers that focus on Brazil. He said they could help me with my study this summer--gotta email them soon.
As if that wasn't nice enough, later that evening Felipe and I attended the GEO banquet. I was lucky enough to receive the GEO (Global Educational Opportunities) Grant for my Brazil trip this summer (for a VERY nice amount) so, we went to the awards ceremony. Dinner was great and so was the speaker; it was really amazing to see diversity of destination for all the recipients. That made me think about where in the world I'll end up. I have too many things lined up, I think--studying abroad, graduate school, teaching abroad, applying for a government job like the FBI or CIA, etc. I want to do all of them, but I want a PhD first. I have 10 great schools profiled and ready for applications. The hardest part will be deciding which I like MORE; they all have wonderful qualities and come with excellent recommendations from various professors, students and administrators I know. I'm rather anal-retentive about school, but I think it's way too important to let it go to the last minute. So, all I have to do is write my thesis and send out the applications in the fall then, enjoy the ride!

No comments: