Monday, March 17, 2008

Rocker Chicks, Random Celebrities and Fresh Faces

I LOVE THIS WOMAN!!! I saw her in concert Friday night and she frickin' rocks! Seriously, Ani DiFranco is one of the best live performances I've ever seen. She's got so much energy it's amazing; plus, she's a great live act (and so few people are anymore). I thought she managed to balance a fair amount of old, classic stuff with some songs from her newest album. I was so moved, I even bought a T-shirt :) Not only is she super talented, she's very politically outspoken, which I respect a lot. Ani is the epitomy of a rocker chick with lasting power. I'll admit it, I've got a bit of a girl-crush. I can't help it--- she's just so cool. She also seems like the kind of person that fame has not ruined; I'd totally be up for having a beer and chatting with her.



Ok, enough gushing. I recently had my first random celebrity sighting and I'm pretty excited about it. I was out for a beer with my cohort and a few guests (that I'll talk about in a minute) and, as we were leaving, I spotted Lou Diamond Phillips (you know, the "La Bamba" guy) standing by the bar. How did I know it was Lou Diamond Phillips, you ask? Well, he kind of did a double-take as our group walked by (not sure why or because of whom) so, I got a good look at his face. I recognized him immediately; his hair was shaggy and that made me remember an ad I saw on TV for the musical "Camelot" (starring him) that is currently playing in town. So, I would bet the farm that I've had a genuine celebrity encounter (brief and impersonal as it may be). Woo hoo!

In other news, my department has recently brought in a group 0f prospective Ph.D. candidates for the upcoming year. I believe there were about ten people here, if I'm not mistaken. Diverse areas of interest as well as geographical origins were represented, which made for interesting conversation. There was also a new "homestay" policy put into place this year. Candidates were housed with current students and there were several social events so everyone could get acquainted. I think it turned out really well and I'm really excited about the incoming class. There were a few people that were still trying to decided between here and other universities so, we all did our best to woo them our way. I guess we'll find out soon who's in and who's out.


So, peanut gallery, have you ever had a celebrity sighting? Who did you see?

1 comment:

*~*~Angela~*~* said...

When I was in the LA airport none other than PAUL WALKER came up and struck up a conversation with me! :)