Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Hockey, Halloween and Tornadoes


Yet again I find myself way behind in my blogging and life in general. There just don't seem to be enough hours in the day (particularly after the time change) to get everything done.

So, what have I been up to you ask? Well, I've been to two hockey games in the last month-- pro games for the local team-- which was pretty awesome 'cause I love me some hockey. The first game, my seats were toward the middle of the area but, the second game, oh my. I got two BOX seat tickets...for FREE-- courtesy of my part-time job. How great is that? They pay me and they give me free stuff. It was seriously one of the highlights of my year; I went with my buddy Adam, who is a major hockey fan and now swears that I am the coolest person alive. Get this, we got: free food, free drinks, free alcoholic drinks, free t-shirts, free programs and...a free dessert. About halfway through the game a dessert cart passed by all the boxes and we could choose from things like NY-style cheesecake with fresh strawberries, Bavarian chocolate cake, Snickers pie, 7-layer carrot cake or we could get a shot of a liqueur like Bailey's or Kahlua. Heaven, heaven....it just doesn't get any better than free entertainment AND free food. God bless them, God bless them all.

Also, as you can see by the photo, I went to a rockin' Halloween party with the other first-years. Everyone dressed up, we made total fools of ourselves and it was a lovely night. In case anyone is wondering, I was "Trailer Park Barbie"--- not Britney Spears, which was the popular guess. I went all out, I'm not ashamed to say; right down to the Marlboro permanently on hand (I gave the rest of the pack away) or in the mouth (with beer bottle), baby doll, prego belly, fake tattoos and blacked-out teeth. How sweet it is...

Yesterday evening I got my first experience with southeastern USA weather-- tornadoes. Yeah, being a WV girl made it virtually impossible for me to wrap my brain around the idea of a tornado being a real possibility until the sirens started going off. Natural disasters just don't happen in WV. Not fun at all, let me tell you. Luckily, even though some were sighted, nothing touched down or did serious damage. It was a very sobering experience-- in a few minutes you could lose everything and you're completely powerless. I just kept thinking how I wished my boy was there and I wished I could talk with him. Anyone out there experienced a natural disaster? What kind was it? What were your thoughts when it happened?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great costume! Shame, I didn't get to dress up this year...Had to work on Halloween. I'm just happy that I got to take off for my b-day. And thank you, by the way, for the birthday wishes!

Hmmm...actually, when hurricane Dennis swept upland a few years ago, three tornadoes hit close to where I live back in the hills. One tore through Darkesville and did some serious damage. One came down route 9 going toward Berkeley...and the other one swept up I-81.

I know, I know *shocker* Tornadoes DO hit WV. Just not very often...which is a very, very good thing.

I'm glad to hear that nothing touched down or did any serious damage there in your TN neck of the woods. Very scary, though, indeed.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts? My first ever tornado warning, punctuated by deluge and wicked lightning storm, and I'm sitting on the top floor of an 80-year-old house sans basement with only an oddly undisturbed foxhound for support. Let's just say I channeled my nervous mother.