Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Must remember to eat and sleep....

My life has been so crazy lately I'm going to give the bulleted version (with explanatory photos)....

* saw "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" for free courtesy of my lovely department (since it's a semi-historical film); my verdict was B-.....pretty and engaging but ridiculously inaccurate and hopelessly cliche at times


* saw "Lady in the Water" courtesy of Blockbuster online; awesome film, I give it an A


* sang karaoke with the other newbies in my department Friday night at a local western bar; very intimidating when everyone there is an aspiring country singer but we had a blast making total fools of ourselves.... Exhibit A----- >


* spent the rest of the weekend reading an excellent book, Intimate Ironies: Modernity and the Making of Middle-Class Lives in Brazil and writing a review....potential dissertation topic? perhaps...

* got invited to a baby shower for one of my best friends from "way back in high school", always wanted to be able to say that; spent some time looking for good gift ideas.... anyone have a suggestion???

* tweaked my final itinerary for my trip to WV for one of my gal-friend's wedding....coming up oh-so-soon; spent time looking for a second gift to give....any ideas???

* struggled make a final decision on where I'll be traveling to this summer....and with what program....to do what? arg....sometimes lots of options makes things harder...

* I've been attending both the Spanish and Portuguese conversation tables religiously....can't tell you how confused that has made me....sometimes I speak and then have to pause to consider if I'm speaking the right language with the right group...


* I met the ex-President of Brazil!!! Mr. Fernando Henrique Cardoso. How cool is that? He came and spoke on campus....it was quite the to-do...Exhibit B---- >

* tonight I'm going to a Cuban timba music concert with "Tiempo Libre"-- Grammy award-winners....if I go to the reception before the concert I might get to meet them.....I love my life :)

No comments: