Friday, August 10, 2007

$$"Money...(ching, ching)...it's a drag..."$$


As the old (and rather cliche) saying goes, money does not grow on trees. This I know personally to be a fact. If it were true, I would definitely convert to hugging trees on a regular basis. However, like most people in this world, I have to work for a living. Even as a doctoral candidate (which comes with a stipend), I find myself running a bit short on cash. Moving to a new, bigger (& more expensive) city requires a lot of money-- rent, utilities, food, furniture, etc. So, I've decided that I'll continue to work part-time while I work on my Ph.D. (at least for the first year, since I won't be a TA).
Part of this is necessity but, part of it is just who I am. I realized that I have consistently held a job (of some kind) for almost a decade now. For all you non-math majors, that means I've been working since I was about 15, which is technically illegal. However, it was only "under the table" for a few months until I turned 16. In any case, I just like working. I like feeling as though I'm accomplishing something. Plus, nothing feels better than financial independence; if I want it or need it, I can pay for myself. One of my fondest memories of high school was when I paid for my very first car in full (and in cash!) much to my parents' surprise. It made me feel like an adult for the very first time.
I also get bored VERY easily so, working has always been a way for me to keep myself occupied. It puts me into contact with lots of different kinds of people, which then gives me fodder for fiction in my writing. What can I say? I'm a workaholic in every sense of the word.
Money is also my Achille's heal, though. Nothing gets me panicky, nervous and depressed like money (mainly the lack thereof). I know it shouldn't get to me so much; it comes and goes like anything else. I shouldn't let it control me but I'm still not at a stable point in my life with a steady job and benefits so, my inability to plan ahead freaks the hell out of me.
Speaking of a steady job, I have 3 interviews for a part-time gig in Nashville. One at Morgan Stanley, one at the VU Division of Public Affairs and one at Brentwood Realty. I scheduled them all for this coming Friday so, I'll post and let everyone know how they went. Each one has it's +'s and -'s so, for me it's really a toss-up.
So, here are my questions to the peanut gallery: What is your relationship with money? Do you love it/hate it or remain apathetic? Are you a spender or saver? Do you like to work or do it just to pay the bills? If money doesn't get to you, what is your Achilles heal?

2 comments:

DH said...

My relationship with it? Well... actually, it left me a couple months ago.

Anonymous said...

Hey lady! Hope all is well in Nashville. I would have to say that money is a big issue for just about everyone. It's the one area of our lives where we think we have some control, but it often seems to slip (a landslide is more like it) right out of our ability to control it.

My money (and everything else, really) isn't mine, its God's. Like you said, it comes and goes and so I try to be a good steward of my money. Knowing that it's not actually mine helps me to save, but also to use it wisely and abundantly (when necessary and possible). No one should horde it -- that makes life boring. I guess what I mean is that there is a good balance among saving and spending wisely, giving to others, and spending every now and then on fun stuff.

I hope all goes well with the job possibilites. Let me know sometime how things are going at school Miss yah!