Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Like giving crack to a baby...


Well, I'm back, as you can see. I hadn't anticipated reviving my blog but, current circumstances have sort of led me in that direction. For one thing, I am doing research on blogging/social networks/psychology for an article/conference paper I'm writing and thought having my own blog would be kinda like "field research". Also, I find myself chest-high in demanding situations lately and writing has always been a good release for me. So has talking, but the people around me are getting a bit sick of hearing about it. I still think blogging is essentially an egotistical, voyeuristic activity but, hey, everyone else is doing it and we're all a little depraved sometimes, right? My creative writing teacher this semester has said that writing in all forms and varieties is productive for writers so, I just look at this blog as "extra credit". Not to mention it is a lovely place to voice all my observations and opinions of the world (of which there are plenty).

I'm feeling rather proud of myself at this particular moment. I am completely on-track as far as Ph.D. applications go. I decided to apply to a total of 12 programs all across the country so, needless to say, I'm in for a LOT of work. Everyone told me I didn't need that many but, I like having lots of choices. My "personal statement" is written and approved of by several trust-worthy faculty members, my transcripts (all $90 worth--how shitty) are ordered, and I've been studying SEDULOUSLY (a lot) for the GRE's. Every school is profiled, check-listed and filed in my nifty little filing cabinet; the proverbial poster picture for anal-retentive, over-achievers. The online applications are almost totally filled-out and faculty recommendation letters are in the works. phew, just thinking about it makes me tired...

Currently reading: Lies at the Altar by: Dr. Robin Smith-- SOOOO many of my friends are obsessed about marriage/engagement nowadays so, taking an informed, realistic approach to potential matrimony seemed like a good idea. If I have to check out one more "rock" (which usually looks more like a pebble) and hear "how he did it" and "what the bridesmaids are going to wear" one more time, I think I might hurl. ARE WE NOT IN THE 21st CENTURY?? Why are women still obsessing about marriage? It's not like getting hit by lightening or winning the lottery-- statistics say that 95% of the population gets married at least once. Welcome to the mediocre club (please leave your brain at the door).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady! Its cool to read your blog. Glad to see a new post.

Maybe one of these days I'll break down and make a blog of my own. I have a myspace in the works right now. I'm movin' up in the technological world. Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...cool picture. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, cool, I can comment without a blogger account now.

Welcome back to the world of the depraved.